Home : West Cornwall Luggers : Newlyn & Penzance : Porthleven & Kitto : Peakes of Newlyn : Ocean Pride : Barnabas : Pet : Dolly Pentreath : Ripple : Snowdrop : Peel Castle : Boy Willie : Mystery : Jumbos : Falmouth Marine School
Peakes of Newlyn
The firm was founded by the family around 1835 and was based at what was the Tolcarne Quay in the Tolcarne area of Newlyn. Prior to 1914 they built mostly luggers up to 30 or 40 feet long. These were mainly for Newlyn owners, but some went to owners in Penzance, Mousehole, St Ives and even Ireland. Their boats acquired a high reputation for quality and dependability, and were also some of the fastest boats in Mount's Bay.
It was common to build boats on any piece of vacant land or beach convenient to a launching point and we can see in the photograph below how one of these boats - Pride of Erin, a 47 footer of 15ft 6in beam built by Peake's was man-hauled on her side from her building site to the slipway at Newlyn harbour.
From left to right: Henry Peake & staff at the Tolcarne premises, "Blush Rose", a lugger almost completed, "Valiant"PZ142, "Valiant" under construction at the Tolcarne, "Provider" PZ19, "Penlee" under construction.
The original picture below is of the Ocean Pride being built at Henry Peake's yard at the Tolcarne in Newlyn. The OP was originally designed to be 50' when built by the Peake brothers, but after they fell out it was cut back to what one of the brothers could afford. The postcard is of the Ocean Pride in Mousehole harbour some time later - exact date as yet unknown. Counter or elliptical sterns were introduced in one or two boats in the 1880's such as St. Michael (PZ 55) shown leaving Penzance circa 1895.
"Boy Willie" represented the final and ultimate development of the West Cornwall mackerel driver. It was a wooden sailing lugger built in Newlyn by Henry Peake at the Tolcarne for Newlyn fisherman William Simons in 1896.