Home : The Happy Return : Restoration : Hull Restoration : Re-launch : Masts and Fittings : Deck Fittings & Hatches : Sails & Rigging : Fit-out, Companionway & Flag : Re-dedication : Engine : New Keel
A new 84 bhp Mermaid diesel engine with PRM gearbox was commissioned and delivered in January 2008 and the old engine removed.
The new engine, gearbox and prop were being installed during during the pre-sailing season of 2008 with a Darglow feathering prop.
To sumarise a brief history of the engines:-
The engine which has been removed was installed in May to June 1972 by the previous owner Peter Barrett of North Cheam, Surrey (later of Swanage). This was a Parsons "Barracuda" Mk11 105 hp marine diesel engine based on a Ford "Sabre" 2704E with a Borg Warner reverse gear. It had new electrics, controls, propeller shaft and 27" propeller by Reeves marine Services, Poole, Dorset. In 1997 James & Harmer worked on the engine & took the cylinder head off and In 1988 this engine was again overhauled by James & Harmer.
The engine prior to that was fitted in 1963 by William Gale of Folkestone who had just become the new owner. He did an extensive refit and 46 hp Ailsa Craig 4 cylinder diesel was fitted with the prop shaft through the deadwood.
As far as our records show the first engine to be installed was by the then owner John Saunders of the Fishmarket, Folkestone on February 18th 1916. This was a Kelvin 8 hp auxiliary engine.
Here are few shots of the old Ford engine in it's original state, after restoration and finally being removed and the new Mermaid being lowered in.